Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Applique

So I am in love with children's clothing brands like Anavini, who produce these adorable applique t-shirts with cute designs.



The only problem with them is that they are really expensive. Like $36 for a t-shirt kind of range. With the holidays coming up, I decided I need to master this sewing skill! So off I went to Hobby Lobby, who had surprisingly cute choices of applique for children's clothing, as well as well-priced t-shirts at $2.99 (the appliques were $1.99). Wal-Mart also has good prices on the Garanimals t-shirts, which are extremely soft, for $3.50. This is a great idea for gifts that can be "homemade" but not too homemade, if you know what I mean.

Ok, so here are some pictures of the two shirts I've done below. An exciting note about the first shirt: We're invited to a one year old birthday party next weekend for the daughter of a good friend. I'd already purchase a cute little pillow pet, but when I saw this owl applique with a pink shirt, I knew fate was stepping in. The owl applique looks just like the birthday part invitation!! So for around $5, I am throwing it in with the gift, and that will hopefully make both gifts more memorable!




I made the second shirt as a gift for a birthday party I am going to this Saturday (even though I showed up last Saturday mistakenly! haha! thankfully it is a dear friend who would never make fun of me!). His name is Perry and I think this will be adorable on him. Suzanne and I are mostly just excited that I can do the applique, as we both like it.



Technique: Directions are on the back of the applique packet you buy. First I put the shirt on the ironing board and placed the applique where I wanted it. Then I put a thin white cloth over it, and held the iron over the patch for 15-20 seconds. Do not use steam (it says). Then I turned the shirt inside out and ironed it from the back side (with the press cloth over it) for 20-25 seconds. That will keep the applique in place for a while, but not permanently. To make it permanent, you have to sew it on.

Use a color thread that you think will compliment the entire applique. I have seen more complex Anavini appliques that change thread, but this was my first one and I just didn't feel like it. I used a zig zag foot which allowed me to see what the heck I was doing as well as a very short zig zag stitch (experiment before actually starting). Then I slowly stitched around the applique. The little curves and feet can be especially tricky, so just go slow and be careful. Remember, slow and steady wins the race! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment